Typography is one of the most important elements in graphic design. It can be used to convey a message and even affect how people understand your business’s brand.
If you want to create an eye-catching logo that stands out from the crowd, it’s important that you learn about typography and its various types so that you can choose the right typeface for your logo design project.
In this article, we’ll explain what typography is and why it’s important in logo design & We will also discuss types of typography and the process to make typography.
Why is typography important in logo design?
Logo design is an important part of business branding, but many designers still don’t understand the importance of good typography.
Why is it so important?
Poor typography can damage your brand’s reputation and negatively affect sales. It can also be super frustrating for customers who have to struggle with difficult-to-read text.
People often trust visual messages more than written ones. Good typography allows you to create a strong visual impact that can be easily perceived. Additionally, well-designed logos are often easier to understand.
Typography is the art and technique of arranging type. It’s used to create a visual identity for a brand, website, or logo.
Here are a few examples of typography logos that are well-designed and effective:
- Google: The Google logo is a great example of how simple, clean typography can be used to create a strong and iconic brand identity. The logo uses a custom sans-serif typeface called “Product Sans”, which is simple and modern, and it effectively conveys the brand’s innovation and forward-thinking nature.
- Nike: The Nike logo is another example of how effective typography can be in creating a strong brand identity. The logo uses a simple sans-serif typeface called “Futura”, which is clean and modern, and it effectively conveys the brand’s athletic and energetic personality.
- IBM: The IBM logo is a good example of how typography can be used to create a sophisticated and professional brand image. The logo uses a custom serif typeface called “Neue Haas Grotesk”, which is clean and timeless, and it effectively conveys the brand’s expertise and reliability.
- Coca-Cola: The Coca-Cola logo is a classic example of how typography can be used to create a strong and iconic brand identity. The logo uses a custom script typeface called “Spencerian Script”, which is elegant and timeless, and it effectively conveys the brand’s fun and playful personality.
What are the different types of typography?
There are many different types of typography that can be used in logo design. We’ll cover these below, but first, let’s discuss the basics:
Serifs are small strokes at the ends of letters, and they’re used to make text easier to read. They can also be found in print and digital media, like logos or magazines. The most common serif font is Times New Roman, which was created in 1932 by Stanley Morison; Victor Lardent.
2. Sans Serif
Sans serif fonts are easier to read on screen than serif fonts. They’re often used for body text and titles, headings, and headlines.
The most common sans serif typeface is Helvetica Neue—the same one that’s been around since 1957!
Cursive is a type of script that uses some combination of straight lines and curves to create an elegant, friendly look. The letters are generally small and delicate, with many letters having little or no vertical space between them.
Cursive can be used to convey a feeling of warmth and friendliness in logos for companies that want to be perceived as friendly and approachable (such as bakeries). It can also convey professionalism when used by organizations that need their clients/visitors/etc., particularly if they’re dealing with sensitive information such as financial data or personal health information.
Script fonts are a type of font that’s usually handwritten. They tend to look more personal, and you can see how much effort the designer put into creating them.
Script fonts are often used for logos because they look more unique than other types of fonts, such as serif or sans-serif (non-handwritten). Script typefaces often use curved lines and loops to give them an artistic feel, which makes them very appealing when used in branding projects.
- Decorative typography is used to add style to a logo.
- This typography is used to add personality to a logo.
- Decorative typography is used to add a unique look to a logo.
- This typography adds an element of creativity and individuality that can’t be found anywhere else in the world!
How to Make a Typographic Logo
A typographic logo is a logo that consists entirely of text, using various fonts and/or text treatments to create visual interest and differentiate a brand. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to create a typographic logo:
- Start by identifying the name of your brand and what message you want to convey through your logo. This will help you determine the tone and style of the text and font you use.
- Research different font options and choose one that aligns with the tone and style of your brand. Keep in mind that the font you choose should be legible and easy to read, especially if it will be used in small sizes.
- Experiment with different font treatments, such as size, color, spacing, and alignment, to create visual interest and distinguish your logo from others.
- Consider using multiple fonts in your logo to add depth and contrast. However, be careful not to use too many fonts as it can make your logo look cluttered and confusing.
- Create a few different design concepts using the font and text treatments you have chosen. It can be helpful to sketch these out on paper or create digital mockups using graphic design software.
- Refine and finalize your design by considering factors such as legibility, balance, and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Create a digital version of your logo using a vector graphics editor, such as Adobe Illustrator, to ensure that it can be easily resized and used in various formats without losing quality.
- Save your logo in a variety of file formats, including .jpg, .png, and .eps, to ensure that it can be used for a different purposes.
What is leading typography?
Leading, also known as line height, is the vertical distance between the baselines of successive lines of type. In simple terms, leading is the amount of space between lines of text. It can be measured by the height of the letter “x”, or the height of a line of text expressed in pixels or points.